Stacey Austin is a partner at Wang Kobayashi Austin, LLC and concentrates her practice in the area of employee benefits and executive compensation. Stacey works with employers of all sizes to assist them in minimizing the legal liability exposure relating to their retirement plans, health and welfare plans, and executive and equity compensation arrangements.
She has experience with a wide range of employee benefit matters, including drafting qualified and non-qualified retirement plans, preparing determination letter application filings and IRS EPCRS correction submissions, and counseling 401(k), 457, and 403(b) plan sponsors. She has particular expertise with fiduciary obligations under ERISA and counsels clients on compliance with laws and regulations applicable to employee benefit plan fiduciaries.
Stacey has extensive experience with the design and drafting of equity-based compensation plans and arrangements. She also advises employers on the Affordable Care Act and other laws governing their health and welfare benefits.
Prior to forming Wang Kobayashi Austin, Stacey was an attorney in the Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation Department of Winston & Strawn LLP.
Stacey is listed in the Martindale-Hubbell 2009 Bar Register of Preeminent Attorneys and was named a Super Lawyers Rising Star in 2014.
J.D., Harvard Law School, 2004
Editor, International Law Journal
B.S., Northwestern University, 2001
- "The Contingent Workforce," National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms Business Meeting, New Orleans, LA (February 2016).
- "Ups, Downs and Exits: Employment and Compensation Issues in the C-Suite," 2015 MIHCA Conference, Chicago, IL (September 2015).
- Facilitator, Labor & Employment Roundtable, National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA (September 2014)
- "Benefits Law for Employment Lawyers" National Employment Law Council Academy, San Francisco, CA (April 2014).
- "Is the Affordable Care Act Good Tax Policy?" 12th Annual Employee Benefits Symposium, John Marshall Law School, Chicago, IL (April 2014).
- "The Affordable Care Act: An Update," Illinois CPA Society, Lisle, IL (January 2014).
- "Navigating the Affordable Care Act," National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN (September 2013).
- "Key Drafting Considerations for 409A and Deferred Compensation for Executives, Service Providers, and Growth Companies," Chicago Bar Association, Chicago, IL (June 2013).
- "Seven Steps to a Better Retirement Plan," Retirement Plan Education Seminar, Chicago, IL (June 2013).
- "Health Care Reform: What It Means For Employers," Employment Law Breakfast Seminars, Irvine, CA (March 2013).
- "Equity Compensation Issues for Buyers and Sellers," Chicago Bar Association, Chicago, IL (May 2011).
- "Strategies to Manage the Overregulation of Executive Compensation," Minority Corporate Counsel Association CLE Expo, Chicago, IL (March 2011).
- "Anatomy of a Severance Plan," Winston & Strawn Employment Law Seminar, Chicago, IL (October 2009).
- Harvard Law School Association, Vice President - Executive Committee
- Harvard Law Society of Illinois, Board of Directors
- HealthConnect One, President - Board of Directors
- Harvard Law School Women's Alliance, President - Board of Directors
- National Employment Law Council